The University of Iowa Libraries seeks an innovative, collaborative, and service-oriented librarian to serve as Curator of Rare Books, with a particular focus on the history of the book and book arts.
Entidad: University of Iowa Libraries.
Lugar: Iowa City (Washington ).
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science.
- Two years of professional experience working in a special collections environment, including the physical handling of rare books, archival collections, and/or works on paper.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team-based setting where consultation, flexibility, collaboration and cooperation are essential.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity in the workplace or community.
Requisitos deseables :
- Classwork, certification(s), concentration(s), or additional degree(s) in special collections, archives, book arts, and/or history of the book.
- Experience interacting with rare book dealers and/or book artists.
- Ability to build and sustain key relationships with donors, researchers, faculty, students, staff, community and/or professional colleagues.
- Basic understanding of metadata standards and schemas for describing rare books and/or archives.
- Familiarity with Aeon and/or ArchivesSpace.
- Bibliographic knowledge of one or more languages in addition to English.
- Demonstrated understanding of the mission of a research university and the mission and functions of a large research library.
- Curate rare book collections, especially those focused on the history of the book and book arts, and manuscript collections focused on the same.
- Explore new areas for collection development and expand on existing collection strengths, working in close coordination with other Special Collections staff and colleagues across the University.
- Represent the department in collection development work, including work with donors and prospective donors, as well as the antiquarian book trade.
- Provide instruction and assistance to undergraduate, graduate, and community classes and promote use of special collections and archival material in the curriculum.
- Support day-to-day operations in the department, including serving at the reference desk in the reading room. Provide reference services via phone, email, and in person on a variety of topics.
- Collaborate with colleagues working in areas of collection development, archival and manuscript processing, rare books cataloging, preservation, digitization, and instruction.
- Assist with physical and digital exhibits, events and programs.
- Contribute to department-level planning and the formulation of new policies and procedures.
- Keep abreast of developments in special collections standards and trends, applying new rules, interpretations, and techniques as appropriate.
- Contribute to the profession through service, research, publishing, and/or teaching.
- Participate in and contribute to relevant library and University-wide activities and committees.
- Additional job duties as assigned based on individual knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Candidaturas : Se requiere CV y carta de presentación.
Plazos: Hasta el 2 de enero de 2009.
Información y contacto: email@example.com.
Salario : $50,000 – $65,000.
Fuente: RBMS. Rare Books and Manuscripts Section.