ITU is looking for a Electronic Resources Librarian to provide a range of reference, collection management and outreach services for the Service’s collections of information resources.
Entidad/Empresa: Unión Internacional de Telecomunicaciones (UIT) / International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
Lugar: Ginebra (Suiza)
- Duties / Responsibilities:
Under the regular supervision of the Head, Information Management Service (IMS), the incumbent (Electronic Resources Librarian) is responsible for providing a range of reference, collection management and outreach services for the Service’s collections of information resources. The incumbent performs the following duties:
- Proposes proactively and efficiently implements policies, procedures, objectives and guidelines for the development and management of the Information Management Service’s collection(s) of information resources in all formats.
- Coordinates corporate and individual subscriptions to electronic resources, which includes liaising with vendors regarding subscription agreements and technical issues, providing access to end users, and troubleshooting.
- Catalogues and classifies ITU information, such as publications and key document series, and external information in various formats in accordance with accepted standards using the integrated library system.
- Provides reference and research services to ITU staff, delegates and the general public.
- Conducts outreach activities to increase awareness of the IMS and its resources, improve client use of desktop information resources, and provide tools to meet the information needs of specific client groups.
- Implements new technologies in information management to ensure that IMS staff and clients have up-to-date tools for efficient access to information.
- Advises other units in content organization and information and knowledge sharing.
- Gathers statistics and evaluatues the adequacy of the Service’s tools and collections to meet client requirements.
- Maintains contact with associations, networks and initiatives in the library and information management field and attends relevant conferences and meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement & Decision-Making; Client and Service Orientation; Innovation and Facilitating Change; Networking and Building Partnerships; Planning and Organizing.
Essential Technical Competencies: Knowledge of library operations, including collection management, cataloguing and classification, reference and research. Knowledge of current trends and developments in managing serials and electronic resources. Knowledge of new trends and innovations in the field of library science. Knowledge and understanding of technologies relevant to library and digital information services.
- Qualifications required:
Education: University degree in library science, information science or a related field OR education from a reputed college of advanced education, with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of a university degree in one of the fields above.
Experience: At least three years of progressively responsible experience in professional library services. An advanced degree in ya related field can be considered as a substitute for one year of working experience. A doctorate in related fields can be considered as a substitute for two years of working experience. Experience working with electronic resources throughout their life cycle – acquisition, liaising with vendors, reviewing licensing options, providing access, troubleshooting technical issues, and gathering and analyzing resource usage statistics – would be an asset. Experience implementing outreach initiatives to improve and increase client use of library resources would be an advantage.
Languages: Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
- VACANCY NOTICE Nº 29P-2018/SG-IS/EXTERNAL/P2
- Date of Issue: 27 July 2018. Currently accepting applications
- Functions: Electronic Resources Librarian
- Deadline for Applications (23.59 Geneva CH) : 27 September 2018. (23 day(s) until closing deadline)
- Type of Appointment: Fixed-term Appointment.
- Grade: P2.
- Post Number: IS10/P2/8.
- Duration of Contract: 2 years with a possibility of extension for an additional period of maximum 2 years .
- Salary: Annual salary from $ 46,472 + post adjustment $ 32,949
Más información y fuente: ITU: e-Recruit.